Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group
- promoting interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.
In 1912, Dr McLanahan, a Stonehouse doctor who lived in The Mount at the bottom of Regent Street, purchased a horse ambulance for the Stroud District.
The ambulance was to be kept at the Crown and Anchor Hotel (now the High Street Surgery)
The photo below from the Stroud News shows the ambulance parked outside the front door of the hotel.
Article from the Stroud News 1912
The 2nd photo shows the doctor and the St John Ambulance Brigade, Stonehouse Division, outside The Mount.