Stonehouse History Group

Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group

- promoting  interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.

Stonehouse Post Office - Circa 1900

Stonehouse Post Office moved to these premises previously owned by William Palser (now  Hurn’s hardware store) in 1899 from premises  on the opposite side of the High Street. The existing Post Office in Queens Road wasn’t built until 1933, using Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company’s materials.

Margaret McCall was the post Mistress in the Stonehouse 1881 census, her niece - Margaret Wilson is listed in the Stonehouse 1901 census (twenty years later) age 39 as occupation Post Mistress too. One of the ladies in this photograph is probably Margaret Wilson.

Having an occupation of post mistress must have been pretty healthy as Margaret lived to the ripe old age of 87, Margaret McCall’s gravestone memorial inscription from St Cyr’s Churchyard Cemetery: Died at Cheltenham 4th Feb 1919 age 87.

Margaret is listed in Kelly’s as Post mistress in Stonehouse for 1856 and 1868 and also listed in morris directory 1876 as stationer, postmistress, and stamp distributor, High Street. So she was a post mistress for many many years.

 Opening of the 1933 Post Office

Stonehouse Post Office - Circa 1860