Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group
- promoting interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.
Unveiling of the New War Memorial on the Green August 1919
Memorial to Stonehouse men who fell in the Great War unveiled by Miss Emily Davies, and dedicated by the Rev. R. P. Waugh, Vicar, August 12, 1919.
The War Memorial still stands proudly on the Memorial Green reminding us of the sacrifices made in the cause of freedom, and has continued to draw large crowds on every Remembrance Sunday. However, the English weather and pollution are no respecters of this proud structure and the War Memorial was showing its age. So the Memorial was restored (at a cost of approximately £4500) in the summer of 2009 back to its former glory.