Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group
- promoting interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.
Visitors to our web site from around the world.
We are here.
Stonehouse History Group Stonehouse Gloucestershire UK
Um grande bem-vindos a todos os nossos visitantes do Brasil por favor, aproveite o nosso web site.
Stonehouse History Group Journals - Issue 1 2 3 & 4
On the edge of the Cotswolds
9 miles south of Gloucester
3 miles west of Stroud
Height 41 Metres/135 Feet
Postcode GL10 in Google maps.
We publish a history journal once a year where we produce memories, stories and articles about the history of Stonehouse.
Stonehouse History Group
Programme and Events
We meet at the Town Hall in the High Street Stonehouse
Every 2nd Weds in the month
If you wish to join our group just come along to any meeting.
Please Note as from January 2018 our meetings will be in the hall at Park Junior School.
Our History Journals Issue 5 & 6
Can be purchased from The Town Hall in the High Street or The Curiosity Shop in Queens Road.
from local people remembering Stonehouse long ago
Stonehouse History Group Home Page
Web pages created and maintained by Darrell Webb for Stonehouse History Group - 2017 © Stonehouse History Group is Sponsored by:-
Stonehouse History Group have made all efforts to trace copyright holders of individual historical photographs, videos and documents reproduced here where appropriate. We will be happy to comply with copyright law or remove items from the site should we be made aware of any relevant copyright issues.
You are visitor number:- Since September 2010
Last updated - 11-08-2017 Number of Viewers today
Number of Active viewers:-
Stonehouse History Group Walks 2015
Stonehouse History Group can offer several guided walks around the Stonehouse area, incorporating historic photos of local buildings and landmarks. We can tailor the walk to suit your group depending on distance and time. Most walks will take about 2 hours.
Our main route involves visiting the Stroudwater Canal and St Cyr’s Church. We can focus on particular aspects e.g. the canal and river, mills, the church, Stonehouse Court, depending on your interest.
Click on the map below for more information.
Next Meeting :-
Weds Sept 13th Jim Dickson - Some History of the Canal at Stonehouse.
Weds Oct 11th 7-30 pm
Part Two: 1970’s & 1980’s
Weds Nov 8th 7-30pm
Gloucestershire's VA Hospitals
Weds Dec 13th 7-30 pm
We had an email about a house that was in Gloucester Road opposite Grosvenor Road behind the existing houses where Little Australia is now. Sent by Jane Scantlebury (nee Turl) via Mel Tarrant - one of our SHG members.
The back ground to this is the visit of the Elmer sisters from Australia in January 2017 who turned out to be related to Mel.
The house was originally called Elmont when Mr Jack Elmer built it in the 1920s but it seems to have morphed into Almonte later.
Jane wondered if anyone could remember the house or Jack Elmer who died in 1955.
Mr Smith’s obituary, published in the Stroud News in March 1945, reveals how he set up the factory to prevent fruit being wasted.
It reads: “It was during Mr Smith’s visit to the local farms in the early 1900s that he was appalled at the waste of fallen fruit that was allowed to lie under the trees and rot.The markets could not absorb it and he started experimenting with bottling.
“He must have been one of the first to commercialise bottled fruit.”After the Second World War, the factory moved onto canned products for catering, including hospitals.
When the motorway opened the business saw a decline in trade due to increased competition and closed in 1964.
Darrell Webb, from the history group, remembers collecting fruit for the factory during the 1950s.
He said: “When we were about nine or ten, I and many of my friends used to go blackberry picking and then sell them to the local jam factory to make their jam.
"We used to get six pence in old money per pound.”
Do you remember the old Stonehouse Jam Factory?
The photograph below shows staff from the old jam factory in Stonehouse, believed to have been located in Orchard Place, in around 1907. Children earned money by gathering blackberries and taking them to the factory in the summer holidays.
The man on the right leaning on the wall with a straw boater hat is Charles Lister Smith who later set up the Severn Valley Fruit Company following on from his father Richard Smith's bakery.The young man on the far right in the long coat is his son Herbert Round-Smith who carried on the firm after his father's death
The Severn Valley Fruit Company, in Orchard Place, founded by local trader Charles Lister Smith in around 1900, was one of the first factories to sell bottled fruit.
Weds Jan 10th
Vicki Walker and Shirley Dicker
Stonehouse in old photographs A New selection
Weds Feb 14th
Woolly Tales of the Severn Vale; the woollen industry from Stroud to Severn
Weds March 14th TBA
Weds April 11th TBA
Weds May 9th
AGM Show and Tell
Weds June 13th TBA
Weds July 11th TBA
Weds Sept 12th
Stroud’s other industries
Weds Oct 10th
Waterways from the Air
(theme to be decided)
Weds Nov 14th TBA
Weds Dec 12th